Gay and Lesbian Community Center of Pittsburgh Needs Volunteers and Wish List Donations
Winter #Volunteer and Fundraising Drive Underway for GLCC Pittsburgh
Founded in 1970, the GLCC Pittsburgh, a nonprofit, fully volunteer-staffed LGBT center in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, is holding their ongoing volunteer drive.
Every month or sooner on the organization’s website, in addition to spotlighting a volunteer of the month, the GLCC refreshes its wish list—and that list includes all volunteer hands on deck.
For the month of October, holiday and event-specific volunteer needs include: Amateur Photographers, Organizers, Greeters and Phone Line Volunteers. Children are allowed to volunteer for select tasks with adult accompaniment. To view the full list of volunteer needs for the month of October, please visit this page—Volunteer Needs: Mid October Edition 2013—onthe GLCC’s homepage.
Also, ongoing volunteer needs and qualification requirements can be found here: http://glccpgh.org/about-the-glcc/volunteer-opportunities-at-the-glcc
Meanwhile, select items from the center’s wish list are below.
Warmth Required: GLCC PA’s Wish List
Of especial note, the center’s having its annual Winter Gear Drive and asking groups and individuals to conduct their own drive and bring bundles of warm winter gear to the center. You can click here to register your drive or contact the center for additional instructions.
Truck or van to transport donations
Personal Care and Hygiene Products
- Toothpaste, toothbrushes, sample size mouth wash
- Soap and sample size hand sanitizer
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Combs, brushes
- Unscented lotion (small sizes)
- Tampons and Maxipads – all sizes, types
- Copy and printer paper (white and colors, partial reams are fine)
- Staples, paper clips
- Pens (promotional/giveaway pens fine), markers, highlighters, Sharpies
- Extension cords and power strips
- Printer cartridges (or gift card to purchase)
- No slip backing throw rugs
Hospitality and Street Outreach
- Snack size items (cracker, cookies) that are high protein
- Bottled water
- Ground coffee, tea bags, creamer, sweeteners
- Cups, plates, paper towels
- Granola, trail mix, dried fruit, canned fruit, shelf stable pudding,
Activity and Program Items
- Board Games, ages 9 and up. **These are heavily used and in much demand
- DVDs and Video Games – any age (we have adults who use them during their programs.)
- Magazine subscriptions. While we have plenty of used magazines, it would be terrific to have new magazines for the youth and adults who might enjoy them while visiting the Center. News, sports, culture, LGBTQ, etc.
- Throw pillows – to create a more comfortable space
- Craft supplies – all kinds
- Shoe laces, all sizes and colors
- White socks
- Other items are needed – please contact us at [email protected] to discuss before donating.
Donations can be brought to the Center at 210 Grant Street between 12-9 M-S. It is best to call ahead if you have more than one bag simply so our front desk volunteer can be available to help you.
Pay special mind to the time of year as well. The GLCC’s work with its local LGBT homeless population is well-known, and dire needs are listed above. Too, think about donating special gifts, or even gift cards, for the upcoming holidays–items that are both practical and extra-special, such as: holiday-themed paper plates, warm outfits with seasonal colors, holiday-themed or self-contained craft projects (e.g. “weekend kits,”), holiday music or general music composed/recorded by LGBTQ artists and so on.
According to GLCC online, cash donations are most needed and most helpful at this time, being that the organization is 100 percent volunteer-run and funded. Donations can be made via Google Wallet, Amazon Payments online, via Cash in person or snail-mailed Check to: 210 Grant Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219/Ph: (412) 422-0114.
Visit the center on the web at: http://www.glccpgh.org